Last night Oprah reminded me of a few things. She reminded me of how important it is to listen to your spirit, to simply say no, to surrender your dreams, to master your fate and stay true to who you are. She stood there and spoke for 2 hours without even stopping for a glass of water. She mesmerised an audience in Perth of 15,000 people with her extraordinary talent of communication and I feel so lucky to have experienced hearing this incredible woman speak and share her journey with us all.
What I learnt from an evening with Oprah
1. Surrender- When we yearn for something so much and we think to ourselves I don’t know what I will do if I don’t have this in my life. We crave the dream in an unbelievable way and become so attached that it consumes us. It’s only when we surrender, let it go, give it up to the greater power of the universe will we not only receive the dream but more than we could have imagined the dream to be. The universe is so powerful it can create for us far more than we could ever dream.
“Have the dream and then surrender it to that which is greater than yourself and allow the flow of your life to move in the direction of your greatest dream.”
2. Listen to that voice- You know that voice? The one we try to turn away but we know it only speaks the truth. That’s your soul speaking to you. Our life journey is to stay connected to that voice, stay on course and allow every situation, person and moment to enter into our lives for a purpose. And know that even when you feel you are not on the right path. That journey is serving you and leading you to exactly where you need to be.
3. Say no – No is a complete sentence. There is no need for an explanation. And when someone asks you to explain what you mean? You need to reply with what part of “NO” did you not quite understand. People do not need to think your nice. You do not need to please them and you don’t need to think they will react in a hurt way. Instead it shows courage to stay No and in doing so you teach others to do the same.
4. We are spiritual beings experiencing a human moment- I have absolutely always known this to be true. We are spiritual, energetic beings having a human experience to evolve, to learn and to shine our light onto others. When our time ends on this earth, our spirit continues its journey. The spirit chooses the body, it chooses our parents and it chooses this exact life we are living. Allow it to fulfill it’s great divine purpose.
5. Realise your gifts and share them with the world- Oprah knew from a young age that she was different. She has the gift of communication and says her vehicle to make a difference in the world is Television. Know your skills. Know your gifts and what you bring to the table and make sure you live out those strengths because the world undoubtedly needs your gift, your talent and your unique qualities.
“There is no greater gift you can give or receive than to honour your calling. It’s why you were born. And how you become most truly alive.”
6. Gratitude- At the end of each day Oprah writes down 5 things to be grateful for. She now has volumes of books. This one simple exercise has the power to open your heart and change your life.
7. Connect with nature- Oprah loves trees. She feels a deep connection with them and has done from a young age. Find in nature what really sets your soul alight. For me it’s the beach. I always feel more alive than ever before when my toes are in the sand, my feet in the water and I am breathing in the salty air. Connect with nature when you need to re-connect with yourself.
8. Be excellent- Without failure we would never grow. We would never know what it means to achieve the things we have today. Oprah says be excellent. Be your own type of excellent. Because when we are excellent at what we do we deter racism, sexism and all things that damage our soul. You cannot tear someone down who is living in excellence.
“We can’t become what we need to be by remaining what we are.”
9. Seek solitude- While Oprah might speak to the masses she also embraces solitude. She loves it and craves to be alone. When we seek solitude we become centered, grounded and allow ourselves to refocus on what is truly important to us. Oprah has a beautiful chair in her garden that she goes to sit on for this time alone. To meditate and connect with her soul’s deepest desires. So find your perfect little sanctuary and take time out.
10. Leave a legacy- While Oprah has touched the lives of many through her TV Show and network, she said her greatest legacy was setting up the school for girls in South Africa. A legacy is when another human being has touched another and made their life better in someway. Oprah touched mine last night and I thank her for her legacy because the world is a much better place because she is in it.
The last thing I want to leave you with in this post is a quote Oprah shared. She said that when she read these words as a little girl it resonated with her so much that she stuck these words on her mirror so she could read them everyday…
“I am the master of my fate. The captain of my soul.”
Quotes by Oprah and image sourced from www.oprah.com